Tuesday, March 10, 2015

Week 36: I'm Exhausted... :)

March 2, 2015

Zach with EFY Speaker, Hank Smith
Hey everyone! 

I hope y'all had a great week! We've had so much going on, I'm just tired thinking back on it. I won't bore you with all the details, but I will mention two neat things that happened.
I helped kill and butcher my first cow and pig this past week. I really thought that I would be squeamish and not enjoy it, but it was actually a lot of fun! The other missionaries volunteered me to cut off the legs since it was my first time. That was weird. I didn't realize how much science and precision is involved in slaughtering animals. The things people learn on their missions. You might find it gross, but me and the Elder I was with took a picture with the cow head; the moment was too hard to pass up.

Our zone leaders had a baptism this past Saturday, and we wanted to invite Dan and Pat to go watch. We called them and left a message, but they never called back. So I had the thought to go over to their house and personally invite them. We got there and they said that they had already gotten our message and that they wanted to go. We somehow got talking about their baptism, and so Pat asked us to tell her what the baptismal interview questions were. We went through the questions, left made some visits, and headed to the baptism. They were already there by the time we got to the baptism. I played the piano there because they didn't have anyone to do it (that talent really does come in handy. Dan and Pat really enjoyed it; when we started teaching them, Pat was on board, but Dan wasn't entirely into it. After the baptism he told us that he was really looking forward to being baptized. At church yesterday, I decided to bear my testimony since they were there. I came back to sit with them afterwards, and all I heard was Pat say, "Wow, he belongs up there," and I also heard Dan say, "Good job, grandson." They always joke with me that they should adopt me! They are awesome and I am really looking forward to their baptism!

One more thing was we had the opportunity to listen to Hank Smith give a talk.If you have ever heard of Hank Smith (he spoke at the EFY I went to a couple years ago), he teaches Book of Mormon and New Testament at BYU and he travels around a lot speaking at EFYs and Youth Conferences. He came to the youth conference here in the Logandale stake. His talk (you shoulda heard it) was awesome! It was about building an unshakeable testimony. One thing he pointed out is people who leave the church always say they "lost their testimony". Brother Smith, in relating it to Alma 32, said you don't lose it, you let it die. If a testimony's a tree, you don't just lose a tree, you let it die. it was a funny, but true analogy. Makes me want to continue to pray, read my scriptures, and go to church! All the primary answers!

Hope you all have a great week!
Elder Jones


No comments:

Post a Comment